Home  |  Products  |  Downloads  |  Registration  |  Forums  |  Support  |  Database  |  My Profiler  |  T-Shirt Contest
Forums

The InterVocative forums are now closed to new postings.

Please visit the Invelos forums at www.invelos.com for DVD Profiler and related discussion.

These forums will remain available for reading indefinitely.

IVS Forums->DVD Profiler: Feature Requests Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
Hard Disk dvd Organiser (Locked)
Author Message
Walter Heitz
DVD Profiler Mobile
Registered: January 29, 2002
Posts: 5
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Hello,

Some of us have so many dvds that they start placing those onto hard disk for easier use and storage place pb.
Could it be possible to add this into dvd profiler and maybe add another option to start the dvd through other program.

Thanks
skipnet50
It all began with a mouse
Registered: October 4, 2000
Posts: 33,731
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Walter:

I suspect that this will have to wait, I think you are bit ahead of your time in this area. Simple reason being storage. For example, I have a sizable collection, by no means the largest and to transfer my library to HDD would require roughly about 30TB, and that doesn't allow for an operating system or ANY programs, just movies and TV Series. EEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see that I can buy a native 6TB HDD for about 5 Grand and I need FIVE of them<slaps self>

Skip
skipnet50's collection
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
InterVocative Chat
I'm Not Blockbuster...!
[a href="http://www.ya-shin.com/pages/posting.html&q
 Last edited: by skipnet50
lmoelleb
Can I go home now?
Registered: October 19, 2000
Posts: 1,026
Posted:
Email this user
For some people (like Skip) it is not feasable to store their collection on hard disk. For others it is. It is not about being "ahead of time", it is simple a question of having another ratio between available storage and movies than Skip.

There are NO problems putting for example a 200 movie collection online if you drop extras, include one audio track only etc. If all you have is a 4:3 CRT TV (like me) you can easily recompress the movie to a better codec without too much quality loss and you really only need a few gigs per movie. Of course you can argue the quality loss is unacceptable, and that is your decission. Others will consider the improved usability to outweigh the slightly lower image quality.

Hence, it is a valid request, but by no means a new one - it is brought up ever few weeks (or maybe months, I must admit I can't remebmer when seing it last).
/Lars

View my movie collection.
Get a free DVD Profiler viewer for Pocket PC.
 Last edited: by lmoelleb
skipnet50
It all began with a mouse
Registered: October 4, 2000
Posts: 33,731
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Lars:

Why would I buy the DVD and not just transfer the WHOLE thing to HDD? Space aside.

Skip
skipnet50's collection
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
InterVocative Chat
I'm Not Blockbuster...!
[a href="http://www.ya-shin.com/pages/posting.html&q
lmoelleb
Can I go home now?
Registered: October 19, 2000
Posts: 1,026
Posted:
Email this user
Skip,

Space is the only reason obviously. But in reality, space IS the limiting factor (you even mention this in your own post), so what is the point of your question?
/Lars

View my movie collection.
Get a free DVD Profiler viewer for Pocket PC.
skipnet50
It all began with a mouse
Registered: October 4, 2000
Posts: 33,731
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Just a matter of curiosity, my friend. I would think if I were going to go HDD<choke> I would transfer everything off the disc.   I was wondering if there was something else I was missing.

Skip
skipnet50's collection
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
InterVocative Chat
I'm Not Blockbuster...!
[a href="http://www.ya-shin.com/pages/posting.html&q
Lithurge
Registered: January 2, 2002
Posts: 4,125
Posted:
Email this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collection
Personally I wouldn't bother transferring extras, I very rarely watch them and never quite understand why I pick up two disc editions, at extra cost, when a cheaper single disc version is available.

So as Lars said it comes down to personal preference.
Nick

Not to understand a man's purpose, does not make him confused.
smeehrrr
Registered: March 30, 2004
Posts: 295
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Quoting Walter Heitz:
Quote:
Hello,

Some of us have so many dvds that they start placing those onto hard disk for easier use and storage place pb.
Could it be possible to add this into dvd profiler and maybe add another option to start the dvd through other program.

Thanks


If you're using Xlobby as a front-end, I have a program that will take your collection.xml from DVD Profiler, do a directory search for exact title matches, let you match the ones it can't figure out and then produce the Xlobby database XML file.  It keeps the mapping in a separate file, since DVD Profiler uses a closed database format that's a PITA to modify externally.
koluns81
You be quiet Chuck!
Registered: October 10, 2003
Posts: 178
Posted:
View this user's DVD collection
I have been weighing up this possibility lately to. When i build my new home, im not having a rumpus room in favour of a totally decked out "Genuine Feel" cinema. You know curtains on the walls, projector,seating, that sort of thing. But i have been thinking what I'll need a server array of HDD's, something like 20-30 of the biggest at the time, just to store them. I'm hoping something like Windows Media Centre will one day allow you to rip dvd to its collection, not that im a Microsoft supporter by any means! But i can use the nice Media Centre wireless keyboard and remote to control the whole room, integrate lighting and retractable screen curtain ect, i want the real cinema feel. OK so i like my movies, who doesn't!

But i would like to do this as visitors then won't be touching my disks and i could even keep them secure off site, making my home insurance a bit cheaper!

Plus i have been floating the legal issue about copyright with a few lawyers at work and the consensus would be that (Keep in mind im in Australia) that to rip them to computer for primary use and then keep your disks as backups, they believe that would stand up in court as your not using both copies at one time, using both would be a breach of licence as you only habe single use.

I also floated the idea of when i make DVD-RW version that i can lend to friends to watch, would be ok too as long as I received that disk back. If they copied it, that's there issue. But one thing you could be done for is circumventing copy protection, that's an illegal act, however they believe that a judge might accept the argument that your collection need protecting from damage and you didn't do it for financial gain or sharing on the internet.
 Last edited: by koluns81
skipnet50
It all began with a mouse
Registered: October 4, 2000
Posts: 33,731
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Keyword Koluns a judge MIGHT buy it, he MIGHT NOT as well.

Copyright violatin isa serious issue and one Hollywood does not take lightly. You ghave two sides to this discussion, the obvious criminal felony issue, but the Studios are highly likely to come aftyer you ont hye basis of civil action. As with many people who discuss thes issues they try to find some way to rationalize or justify their behavior. Copyright protection in the world of DVD is pretty solid, and any attempt to circumvent that protection would probably be viewed by the courts as prima facie eveidence of intent.

To me, and I spent some 20 years in the industry, it simply is not worth the risk.

As for the concept of loaning to friends, read the I'm Not Blockbuster link in my signature.

Skip
skipnet50's collection
CBE, MBE, MoA and proud of it.
InterVocative Chat
I'm Not Blockbuster...!
[a href="http://www.ya-shin.com/pages/posting.html&q
Touti
Registered: January 18, 2001
Posts: 1,616
Posted:
Email this userVisit this user's homepage
Quoting skipnet50:
Quote:
Keyword Koluns a judge MIGHT buy it, he MIGHT NOT as well.

Copyright violatin isa serious issue and one Hollywood does not take lightly. You ghave two sides to this discussion, the obvious criminal felony issue, but the Studios are highly likely to come aftyer you ont hye basis of civil action. As with many people who discuss thes issues they try to find some way to rationalize or justify their behavior. Copyright protection in the world of DVD is pretty solid, and any attempt to circumvent that protection would probably be viewed by the courts as prima facie eveidence of intent.

To me, and I spent some 20 years in the industry, it simply is not worth the risk.

As for the concept of loaning to friends, read the I'm Not Blockbuster link in my signature.

Skip


As I recall (would have to research it), a company was sued in the u.s last year because they're dvd copying program bypassed the copy protection.  They won their case if I remember well because the judge decided that the owner's right of making a backup copy was more important so bypassing the protection was not illegal in this case.

In any legal case there is always the matter of intent.  Noboby could prove that this software was intenteded for piracy, it even added to the dvd it's own opening sequence saying that it was a home copy, made for backup purpose and should not be used outside the owner's home or something like that
DVD Collectors Online
Rifter
Freedom is not free!
Registered: January 27, 2002
Posts: 3,169
Posted:
Email this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collection
Quoting lmoelleb:
Quote:
Skip,

Space is the only reason obviously. But in reality, space IS the limiting factor (you even mention this in your own post), so what is the point of your question?


Actually, space is only ONE limiting factor.  I'll leave the time factor involved in transferring 30TB of data to HDD aside.  What about the very real possibility of a system crash, or disc failure? 

Putting all this stuff on HDD is where "they" want to push us with their plans for streaming video, buying movies online, etc.  We could easily end up with that 30TB and no actual physical discs on the shelf.

Not this kid.  I'll keep my hard drives clean and clear for doing actual work, and keep my DVDs on the shelf where I don't have to worry about a drive malfunction wiping anything out, thank you very much.
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!"  Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964.

My Blog: Mad Gorilla's Jungle
smeehrrr
Registered: March 30, 2004
Posts: 295
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
Quoting lmoelleb:
Actually, space is only ONE limiting factor.  I'll leave the time factor involved in transferring 30TB of data to HDD aside.  What about the very real possibility of a system crash, or disc failure? 

Putting all this stuff on HDD is where "they" want to push us with their plans for streaming video, buying movies online, etc.  We could easily end up with that 30TB and no actual physical discs on the shelf.

Not this kid.  I'll keep my hard drives clean and clear for doing actual work, and keep my DVDs on the shelf where I don't have to worry about a drive malfunction wiping anything out, thank you very much.


Building fault-tolerant servers isn't exactly rocket science.  I have nearly 50 drives full of content, and every single one of them is protected against failure. I still have all my discs, but never need to get up off the couch and go hunt around on the shelves or in a binder. My entire collection is searchable and instantly accessible.

Remind me again what's so bad about that?
koluns81
You be quiet Chuck!
Registered: October 10, 2003
Posts: 178
Posted:
View this user's DVD collection
Quoting smeehrrr:
Quote:
My entire collection is searchable and instantly accessible.

Just wondering what software you use to deliver that search and playback function, as im starting to look for somthing like that, thats better than Media Center.
smeehrrr
Registered: March 30, 2004
Posts: 295
Posted:
Email this userView this user's DVD collection
I use Xlobby for the front end, and Zoomplayer to actually play the content.

http://www.xlobby.com
http://www.inmatrix.com
 Last edited: by smeehrrr
koluns81
You be quiet Chuck!
Registered: October 10, 2003
Posts: 178
Posted:
View this user's DVD collection
Quoting smeehrrr:
Quote:
I use Xlobby for the front end, and Zoomplayer to actually play the content.

http://www.xlobby.com
http://www.inmatrix.com


That looks real cool, thanks.
IVS Forums->DVD Profiler: Feature Requests Page: 1 2  Previous   Next